- Sep 08 - 10 2023
- 3:00 pm - 1:00 pm
National A.A. Technology Workshop
“Solving, Sharing, and Scaling Solutions”
Inviting all AA members in Service
(and Geeks in Recovery)
We would love for you to join us in person if you can make it or we’ll see you on Zoom!
Hotel rooms available at two local hotels for $139/night
Rooms also available with the “Stay with a Local” program
Transportation from Dulles Airport will be coordinated.
Event & Hotel Registration coming soon!
What is NAATW?
NAATW is made up of people from varying backgrounds in service and varying geographic regions. There seems to be a growing realization that Alcoholics Anonymous is somehow moving into a technological age, but we are not sure what form that we might, or ought to take. We are here to communicate our experiences and to “INFORM” ourselves abour our needs and our experiences when using technology in our service work. All forms of service are involved; Intergroup, General Service, or at the Home Group level. NAATW is a forum for learning to frame the right questions, and sharing the groups current answers as well as past and current experience. It gives opportunity for group collaboration and new ideas to spark. It has been said that technology in Alcoholics Anonymous was an oxymoron three year ago and that is no longer the case, we are rapidly moving into the 21st century.
We actively realize the long list of technical actions already known, that we need to take in order to utilize the next available app or device feature. Our choices have become more involved as that list of options has grown… and grown… and grown. We are down to the actions which require change and growth. Our groups, our committees, and our trusted servants are not new to dealing with discussions over content and functionality on websites. Members have smartphones and access to desktop and cloud-based tools, and wish to contribute their time. This growth has some natural challenges in a fellowship centered on Unity and the Informed Group Conscience. NAATW’s Workshop is to assist in creating technologically informed members.
SHARING THROUGH TECHNOLOGY
We share information, methods, procedures, ethics and our enthusiasm at each technology workshop as we continue to gather, grow, and serve.
We demonstrate and share technology related experience, strength, and hope.
SERVICE IN TECHNOLOGY
We work together to serve and provide meaningful, useful and up-to-date technology expertise to the fellowship, members and non-member friends (special workers in technology). Our hope is to share the message of Alcoholics Anonymous through technology to help the next alcoholic.
Below are some of the topics confirmed for presentation at this year’s hybrid event that will be hosted from Shenandoah University, Winchester, VA.
5:00 PM Friday, September 8th to 1:00 PM Sunday, September 10th, 2023.
- Helping Online Intergroup Manage a Meeting Directory at Scale. (Josh R. Mountain View, CA)
- Solving Our Common Problems: A Technology Update from TIAA. (Mike F. NY and Lew G. MN)
- Virtual Meetings: Best Practices (Royce E., Freehold Township, NJ)
- AI in AA – Bringing New Depth to the Meeting List (Matthew L., Long Beach)
- AI in AA – The Potential for Generative AI to Enhance and Support AA Activities and Content (Lois L., St. Louis, MO)
- The Pressing Need for Pre-Production Planning in Hybrid and Virtual Events (Laura S, St. Louis, MO)
- DIY Usability Testing for Better AA Websites (Melissa E., Durham NC)
- How Australia is Dancing the Digital 12 Step (Lachlan B., Sydney, Australia)
- How to Most Effectively Use AA Approved Literature in a Virtual Setting. (Lisa R., Albany, CA)
- “Off the Shelf Solutions” for Technology in AA including C4R, TSML and the Meeting Guide. (Doug G. and Larry W., VA)
- What’s New – 2023 Technology Update from AAWS and Grapevine
- AA’s 12th Concept: Bringing Spiritual Guidance to Our Technology Community (Buck R., Lewes, DE)
- And back by popular demand: Blasts from the Past, Birds of a Feather, and more!